I am now one step closer to having genderbend Ten ready to go. I have ordered new, women’s brainy specs. They’re not that different from what he wears, but they’re slightly more feminine, just like the suit will be. I’m loving this! At least I’ll be ready to wear the Tux if I can’t get the blue suit done or get contacts by Dragon*Con.
I am in luck. This weekend Jo-Ann’s not only has yarn on sale, but Burda patterns as well. I’ll be able to get that suit pattern for the blue suit for $2.49 as well as possibly get the yarn for The Dude on the Grid’s sweater. Yay!! :: insert Kermit arm-flail here ::
I had two ideas hit me on the way home today. First, I’ve decided not to give up on a genderbent Junpei. In my mind I wanted to have her hair come back into a nice, neat french braid. But that’s just not going to work. So instead I’m simply going to cut her hair shorter and leave it loose. I think it’s going to look really good.
Second, I’m thinking of taking a new approach to Ten’s blue suit. Genderbent. I still can’t believe I’m thinking about it, but I think I’ll be happier with the outcome. I’m so worried about getting it to fit right so I look male but I really don’t think I can get it to that point myself. But if I’m making a suit that fits my body shape, it’ll be much easier to do. I’m going to keep it a suit (with pants), but the cut will be more female. Really that’s the only thing that’s going to be female. The wig isn’t changing. Eventually I’d like to have the coat, and as tempting as the female version is on ThinkGeek, I’m going to stick with the original cut. At some point in the future, if I have the money and the desire, I can order a suit from Magnoli. Now I just have to figure out a pattern to use to get this made. I might actually be able to get this done for Dragon*Con this year!
I now have five weeks until spring semester begins. That means a lot more time in the evenings to work on getting things done.
-I have everything to get Dr. Abbey’s lab coat and t-shirts done, now I have the time to actually do them and finish her up.
-I also now have the time to do a quick pic for Becks’ ID, which would finish her up.
-I’ve ordered the sweater for Post-Regen Ten and decided to just go with my black jeans for now. Once the sweater arrives in about a month, he’ll be done.
-The new umbrella base for my Six/Seven umbrella should be arriving today, so I can get that done. I’m hoping it’s about the same size and shape as the original, so I can simply transfer the canopy. If not, I’ll just redo it.
-I can sit down and get some good screencaps of Tim Bisley’s hat and at least work out a pattern if not actually get it made.
-I can finally get the “gloves” made up for Death so I can have white hands that won’t rub off.
-And who knows, I may even sit down and get working on Harry’s canvas Inverness coat. Granted, that’s going to require a lot of time due to the canvas needing to be dyed black.
So hopefully before spring semester starts, I’ll have five more finished up and ready to go. Which is good since Becks is the only one not done yet for MARcon.
Also, I now have a bunch of mock-up fabric since my hubby and I decided to retire a couple of sets of sheets. That means I’ll be able to get a mock-up for Ten’s blue suit finished sometime soon! It would be nice to have it done for Dragon*Con, but I’m not going to rush. I’d rather wait another year and have it looking great than rush it and not be happy with how it turned out. That’ll help with the First Doctor too. It’s a vintage pattern, so I’m figuring I’m going to be doing some tweaking to get it fitting right. I love the fact that I have mock-up fabric for free!
I have been planning an original Dawn costume for a couple of years now. I started it back when there was still the Dawn Look-a-Like contest at Dragon*Con, if that helps. While the details have changed over the years, one basic thing that has stayed the same is an underbust corset. I really, really wanted to make this completely myself. But I keep thinking about making a corset and all the things that can go wrong and how little I really know about it and I panic.
So I’ve taken a few deep breaths and a step back from it. I’ve realized that how it looks is more important to me than how it’s made. I’m going to give myself the time to work on learning how to make a corset well and then make what I want to use for that outfit. Until then, I’ve found a corset that has inspired how I want the one I will make to look, so I’m just going to get it. This way I know everything will look how I want it to, and I don’t have to worry about it coming out right or messing it up and having to abandon wearing it.
With that pressure gone, I feel much more motivated to get everything else finished. The shirt and pants are going to be nice and simple. Once I figure out what type of sword I want to make, that will get the focus it deserves. It’s such a good feeling to be able to relax and know that my vision will finally be brought to life!
On Sunday I decided to stop by Jo-Ann’s to take advantage of the sales and coupons. Sadly, so did everyone else in Columbus. I don’t know how long I stood in line holding a large bolt of fleece, but it was worth it. I now have everything I need to get Dr. Abbey ready to go! I have two orange t-shirts, equipment for stenciling, and muslin, patten, and buttons for her lab coat. Now I just have to find the time to do all of that. She doesn’t need to be done until Dragon*Con, so that helps a lot. Also I have 5 weeks off for winter break. Since I’ll have nothing else to do after work during the week, I am hoping to get her done.
Then I’ll just sit back and wait for the tax return to arrive so I can get my First Doctor swimsuit and post-regeneration Ten done and I’ll be ready to go. I may actually be ready for Dragon*Con before MARcon. That would be awesome.